Saturday, June 11, 2005

Yellow Brick Road

Elton John has probably performed in China. He would be impressed by the industry of the peasants. Right now in the north mile upon mile of wheat is being harvested (does Canada still export to our once large trading partner?). Farmers use the roads to thresh and dry the grain. Vehicles drive over the stalks effectively separating the seed from the chaff. The roads and indeed roof tops are a sea of gold. Further south where I have just come from the transition is going on from wheat to rice. The coolies are out in full force in the paddies planting. Heavy rains have swollen the Yangtze to the point it might flood. The view from the sleeper trains I have been on has been a kaleidiscope. One can watch from the bunk or sit on a fold down seat in the corridor. I had a five minute conversation in Chinese to-day, my longest yet. Oh there goes the phone. The prostitutes are phoning each of the rooms one by one and you can hear the progression. Most calls go unanswered. I mistakenly checked into a massage parlour in Suzhou and checked out a couple of hours later when I confirmed my mistake. To end on a musical note, I am in Jinan on the Yellow River. Since the Christie hit in the sixties I have always wanted to see it. Maybe to-morrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home