Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Canal

I am so, so busy. This is a recycled post to my homestay agency website a few days ago.
As I write this I am ensconced on top of a man-made hillock crowned by a Chinese pavilion. The neighbourhood is typical in this worker city but the canal and spring green brighten up the residential zone. The weather is warm for early April, close to 30 celsius although it has moderated a bit to-day. After three weeks with my homestay family I feel extremely comfortable with how things are unfolding. To-day I meet a student who has graduated from a prestigious university in Shangai and although this was arranged for me I am happy to go with the flow. Very little here seems to involve me swimming against the current. Shopping for dishes this morning with Mum (who works part time at a clock factory) and daughter who has classes only later on, was pleasant. I have sorted out in my mind the next photos I wish to take, not least any of a number of restaurant crews who turn out to do musical drills on the sidewalk. They are all in the costume of their establishment and in their early twenties I would say. They are well synchronized and do elaborate gestures. You would pay for this show back home! I wonder if they compete against other complements elsewhere across the city? If they don't they should. This week-end its up off the Hebei flat plain into a stone cabin in the local hills. Yippee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home