Saturday, April 30, 2005

Eats

Eating is an ongoing theme here, as indeed the world over. Now that I have expressed that platitude, lets waken you up a bit. (I learned platitude and its meaning from a professor making reference to particularly bland university submissions which I suppose were my norm). Donkey meat, rabbit, sow's ear, Peking Duck, sea weed, water chestnuts, persimmons, dumplings, fritters, shrimp, Mao Zedong's Favourite (whatever it was), all measure of vegetables - my large intestine has seen them all. Sometimes it feels as if everything is lodged there at the same time. Some of the best ice lollies I have ever eaten are in my system right now. You can buy a dozen for $1.50 CDN. Fruit is abundant, mangos expensive but water melon a bit more reasonable. I negotiated my first market purchase the other day, recognizing I was being hoodwinked at the first merchant and moving on to a second where I paid half the price. Last Friday I was invited to a Korean Restaurant where amongst other things the fish was great. I met some foreigners on the Monday for lunch and again it was pig out time (you must to keep face). Meals are communal around a circular table where all dishes are shared and each person digs in with their own chopsticks. No individual servings or plates, as is our custom. I have not dropped too many things with my sticks recently so I am mastering the art. To-day is the May Day holiday which stretches into a full week for some. Trains and buses are choc-a-bloc. Hic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home